spark Community Action Grants are intended to give residents of Ottawa’s priority neighbourhoods an opportunity to have direct input and influence into the improvement of their community by increasing social interaction, reducing isolation, increasing community safety and building local skills. For more information, open the interactive map to view our city-wide investments.
Spark members will allocate Community Action Grants to fund projects and initiatives in priority neighbourhoods within Ottawa. Spark recognizes the power of women to drive change in our community. As such, priority will be given, but not restricted, to applications for initiatives, projects or programs that specifically seek to support, empower or engage women and young women residing in Ottawa’s priority neighbourhoods. Spark Community Action Grants will be allocated twice per year in Spring and Fall.
Who can apply for a Neighbourhood Improvement Grant?
If you are a neighbourhood organization or a group of residents with a great idea, the first step in the application process is contacting your local Community Health and Resource Centre or charitable sponsor and discussing your initiative. Applications must be submitted through a sponsoring organization, a Community Health and Resource Centre or another registered charity, in the neighbourhood catchment area. Prior to submission of the application, neighbourhood representatives are encouraged to contact community development staff to ensure that they are working on a project that is eligible.
Applications are accepted from Neighbourhood-based organizations or resident groups in priority neighbourhoods. A Neighbourhood-based organization or resident group is one:
- With a majority of its members/participants residing or doing business in a recognized neighborhood;
- Whose purpose, at least in part, is to improve residents’ quality of life in that area;
- That may include residents and representatives from churches, schools, businesses, and other institutions operating in that neighborhood. Next Call for Proposals Launch: March 27, 2017 (Deadline is May 2nd, 2017)
- Review our Guidelines and Application
- Project(s) selected will be required to provide reporting on a financial, narrative and photographic level as well as milestones updates, and an opening event.